If the eyes are the windows to our souls, they are also the key to our age. The eyes are the first place people look when they talk to us, and many first impressions are based upon the look that they impart. Do your eyes make you look tired? Angry? Sleepy? As our eyelids age, these are the messages that they can send, and they are often quite different than how we feel. Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, with Dr. Jeffrey Rockmore in Albany, NY can restore the youthful look of our eyes and make us look refreshed, vital, and alert.
Dr. Rockmore approaches each procedure with precision and artistic vision to reveal each patient's unique beauty. To get started, request a free consultation using his online form or call his office at (518) 438-0505.
Eyelid Surgery Before & After Photos
CAN YOU IMAGINE!! This is a 52 year old lady who presented with a request for improving her facial appearance. During the consultation we discussed the issues of the aging process that are bothersome to the patient and this included the loose skin of the neck and face along with the tired appearance...
This is a 62 year old lady who did not like the aging process on her face in that she disliked the puffiness under her eyes and the sagginess of her jowel and neck area. As you can see from her pre op pictures, she has very nice petite features but just needs some tightening to accent those na...
Are You a Candidate?
The eyelids are often the first area on the face to show the signs of aging. The thin skin of the eyelids loses its elasticity earlier than the thicker skin of the rest of the face. This can result in a number of different concerns. A combination of these factors can depict a tired, elderly look that doesn't match how we feel on the inside.
You may be a good candidate for eyelid surgery if you have:
- Wrinkles around the eyelids
- Sagging of the upper eyelids
- Hooding that affects the look or function of the eyes, possibly impairing vision
- Fat pockets creating bags beneath the lower eyelids
- Dark circles beneath the bags
Good candidates should also be in generally good health. During your consultation, Dr. Rockmore will evaluate both your overall health and the condition of your features and make a recommendation about whether you're a good candidate.
Dr. Rockmore's Approach
Every person's eyelids and eyes are unique, and each person ages uniquely. Each eyelid procedure needs to be individualized to meet your specific needs. There are a multitude of options to accomplish this and create a youthful but natural result. The upper and lower eyelids age differently and have different structures. These can be treated together or independently depending on what is best for your eyelids.
Why Choose Dr. Rockmore for Eyelid Surgery
- Experience with hundreds of eyelid and facial rejuvenation procedures
- Ability to use a variety of eyelid techniques to individualize your procedure
- Precision to delicately treat your eyelids and restore a youthful but natural look
Upper Eyelids (Upper Blepharoplasty)
As the upper eyelids age, the loose skin sags and creates a loss of eyelid shape. In many cases, the hanging skin is worse laterally, creating hooding that can limit our vision. As the loose skin worsens, it can often rest on our eyelashes. In some women and men, the eyebrows can also droop, in which case a brow lift can also be considered.
To restore the shape and appearance of the upper eyelids, surgery is needed, as there are really no significant non-surgical options. In a blepharoplasty, the excess skin is removed through an incision hidden in the crease of the upper eyelid. If there is fat bulging in the medial eyelid, it can be removed to further reshape the eyelid. Dr. Rockmore carefully plans the amount of skin tightening to create a youthful upper eyelid while looking natural and not overly wide.
Lower Eyelids (Lower Blepharoplasty)
There is much more variability in the treatment of the lower eyelids, as there is more variability of the aging changes and the shape of the eyelid. As our lower eyelids age, there can be both loose skin and fat bags of varying degrees. Treatment options include both surgical and non-surgical procedures, including the following:
- Skin resurfacing: Either an erbium laser or a chemical peeling agent such as TCA can be used to when there are fine wrinkles of the lower eyelids. Removal of the top layers of damaged skin allows the newer undamaged skin to come through, tightening the skin and reducing the fine lines and wrinkles. This can be done as an office procedure, but it does have some recovery time as the skin heals.
- Soft-tissue fillers and fat grafting: The dark circles that develop below our lower eyelids are often a shadowing effect from the fat bags of age. The circles represent a relative valley between the bulge of the fat bags and the cheek. A soft-tissue filler such as JUVÉDERM® or your own fat can be used to fill in this valley, blending the eyelid into the cheek and removing the shadow. This hides the fat bags and removes the dark circle without the need for surgery. While not the solution for everyone, this newer technique has become increasingly common.
- Transconjunctival blepharoplasty: This approach removes the fat bags through an incision on the inside of the eyelid. This leaves no apparent scar and, just as important, preserves the function of the lower eyelid muscle. This maintains the shape of the eyelid and avoids any lateral droop. If there is loose skin after the transconjunctival blepharoplasty, this can be removed with a skin-pinch blepharoplasty. In this procedure, a small pinch of skin is removed through an incision hidden immediately beneath the eyelashes, preserving the muscle and tightening the skin.
- Traditional lower blepharoplasty: In this procedure, a flap of skin and muscle is raised from an incision hidden immediately beneath the eyelashes. This allows access to remove the fat bags and tighten the loose skin. It is often combined with a procedure to anchor the lower eyelid to prevent drooping, called a canthopexy.
Dr. Rockmore tailors each of these procedures to meet your specific needs, and he can combined components of different approaches for an optimal result.
Your Eyelid Surgery
Dr. Rockmore sometimes performs this procedure at our Albany office, while more extensive eyelid surgery is done at the surgery center near our facility. He often performs isolated upper blepharoplasties in our office using local anesthesia. If you prefer, additional anesthesia, like a twilight anesthesia, can be provided at our outpatient surgery center. Many lower blepharoplasties or combined upper and lower eyelid lifts are done at the outpatient surgery center due to the need for additional anesthesia.
On the day of your procedure, you will meet with Dr. Rockmore and have an opportunity to ask any last-minute questions. You will then undergo your procedure and awake in the recovery room. Afterward, ice will be applied to your eyelids to minimize swelling and bruising. Often, vitamins are provided to further reduce the swelling and bruising.
I am very pleased with my facelift and eyelid surgery by Dr. Rockmore. He was always available to answer my questions during the post-surgery healing process, which included several office visits to track progress. I will return to Dr. Rockmore again.
Read more testimonials from Dr. Rockmore's real patients.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
Once you go home, Dr. Rockmore advises that you keep your head elevated and avoid any bending over or strenuous activity. Sleeping in a recliner or with several pillows for the first week is best. You can shower and wash your hair the next day, and you need to use ice compresses for 3 days. There is minimal discomfort with eyelid surgery in most cases, and you will be prescribed pain medications if needed.
Any swelling or bruising usually resolves after 10 to 14 days. After 2 weeks, you can resume exercise and more strenuous activities. In some people, the eyes can be dry after the surgery, and eye drops can be used to help with this.
After adequate healing time, your eyelids will reveal their youthful shape and contour. You will look bright and refreshed and feel more like yourself.
Back to top