When you’re considering rhinoplasty in Albany, NY, online videos such as those on YouTube can be a great educational resource. In fact, I often create YouTube videos to inform viewers about the benefits and risks involved, the steps that occur in surgery, and what to expect during recovery. I do this to help people better understand the procedure they’re interested in and what they can anticipate from their results.
Online videos can be a good starting point when you’re just beginning to think about having a procedure performed, even before you’ve met with a plastic surgeon. However, your research shouldn’t begin and end with YouTube. Here’s why:
- Anyone can make a video. Not all plastic surgery videos are made by board-certified plastic surgeons. Anyone can make a nose job video in Albany, NY, and present information in a way that benefits them, rather than provide you with honest information. Try to find out who created the video you are watching and do some investigating to determine if the video is from a credible source for information.
- Videos are results-focused. Many online videos only focus on the after-effects of surgery. That is, they don’t discuss the recovery period or how to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. By fast-forwarding to the end result, a video can create unrealistic expectations. Look for a balance between results, unbiased information, and facts when viewing online videos.
- Videos may not offer all the details. Online videos are meant to be short and sweet, which can be convenient and helpful when you need information fast. But when deciding on something as major as plastic surgery, you need to know all the details. This is where additional research can help fill in the gaps.
In addition to videos, you can also look for information from the following sources:
- The surgeon’s website. A good surgeon should have detailed information on their website about the procedure you are interested in. The content should be comprehensive, thorough, and honest. Be wary of websites that don’t present any kind of information on the recovery period or any of the risks involved with the procedure.
- Before-and-after photo galleries. Looking at a surgeon’s before-and-after photos can help you get an idea of what kind of results to expect. This also shows that the surgeon is transparent and confident in their skills and abilities.
- Patient stories. Testimonials and stories from real patients are very valuable. They can help you get a feel for the surgeon’s bedside manner, professionalism, and level of skill and ability to achieve the desired results.
The Consultation: Your Best Source of Information
After you have done some online research, it’s still important to meet with a surgeon face-to-face. Scheduling a consultation will allow you to have all your questions answered, and will help you better understand the surgeon’s philosophy, expertise, and personality. This in-person meeting is often the most important part of your research process, and one that can ultimately help you make the best choice for you.
For more information about rhinoplasty, request your free consultation online or call our office at (518) 438-0505.